At our organisation, all clients will be given information about what to do if they have a problem with the service provided or any other aspects of the organisation. This is also in keeping with Solicitor Regulation Authority rule 2.
We define a complaint as any reasonable expression of client dissatisfaction or grievance.
Complaints will be identified by the member of staff who first comes in to contact with the complaint or expression of dissatisfaction or grievance however it is expressed. If it is in written form, this is likely to be the person who opens the post or reads the fax; if in electronic form, the person who opens the email and if verbal or via the telephone, the person to whom the client is speaking. The following applies to all complaints received by the organisation:
- They will be recorded in a central file
- They will be acknowledged, and the client notified of when they will receive a substantive response which should be within two weeks of when the complaint was first received
- The complainant will be informed of the person to whom they should take matters if they remain dissatisfied at any stage
- Options for redress and for correcting any underlying problem or unsatisfactory procedures will be provided
Parmjit Singh will be the person with overall responsibility for complaints. As soon as a complaint is received, it will be brought to the attention of Parmjit Singh who will carry out the following steps:
- Identify the cause of the complaint and the reason for the grievance
- Discuss the case and the complaint with the relevant caseworker
- If not already in writing, try to obtain a detailed written version of the complaint from the complainant
- Determine if the complaint has merit
- Decide what action needs to be taken to prevent the complaint happening again
- Decide what action needs to be taken to satisfy the complainant
If the client is not satisfied with our handling of his / her complaint he or she should be directed to the Legal Ombudsman (LeO) at PO Box 6806, Wolverhampton WV1 9WJ to consider the complaint. You may obtain a copy of our organisation’s Complaints Procedure from our office.